This week in OtherWords, we’re highlighting the debate over the Obama administration’s nuclear weapons policy, with op-eds by Peter Weiss and James C. Lewis and a cartoon by Khalil Bendib.
If you haven’t already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- Obama Sharpens His Nuclear Posture / Peter Weiss
A new Pentagon document indicates that contingent plans for the use of nuclear weapons are being made, with the self-evidently impossible task of minimizing collateral damage.
- It Can’t Happen Here / Tiffany Williams
Au pairs may get an experience they didn’t bargain for when they head for a stint in the United States.
- One Step at a Time / Chris Schillig
The middle ground the Boy Scouts found on gay rights is one that rankles as much as it pleases.
- Smaller Arsenals Beat Bigger Ones / James C. Lewis
Obama is trying to enhance U.S. national security by reducing the threat of nuclear weapons.
- Taking Embarrassing to a New Level / Donald Kaul
Every administration hits rough waters.
- Predistribute the Wealth / Sam Pizzigati
The market has stopped working for working people.
- A Deadly Power Surge / Jill Richardson
Fracking might be profitable, but whether it’s good for anything else is doubtful.
- North Carolina Rips More Holes in Its Safety Net / Jim Hightower
If ignorance is bliss, Governor McCrory must be ecstatic.
- Syrian Dead End / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
How can the United States afford to keep proving that it’s bad at bringing peace to conflict-ridden Middle Eastern countries?
- Washington Goes AWOL / Khalil Bendib cartoon