This week in OtherWords, Bob Lord explains why cutting IRS spending is counter-productive and Jill Richardson weighs in on the government’s latest efforts to do something about food safety. Sam Pizzigati is still taking some time off.
Do you want to make sure you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords? Then subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. Do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please consider making a donation today to keep this valuable service running.
- Exploited by Your Tax Dollars / Martha Burk
The federal government supports more U.S. low wage jobs than McDonald’s and Walmart put together.
- The Real IRS Scandal / Bob Lord
By choking enforcement efforts, IRS budget cuts make the deficit even bigger.
- An Opportunity to Work with Iran / Laicie Heeley
Under President Rouhani, tensions over Iran’s nuclear program could subside.
- The Bully Party / Donald Kaul
This sure isn’t the representative democracy the Founders were after.
- Beefing Up Food Safety / Jill Richardson
The government’s new effort to strengthen its weak inspection system for imported food isn’t going to cover everything we eat from foreign countries.
- Steve Cohen, Meet Al Capone / Jim Hightower
More than 80 years after the big-time mobster got busted for tax evasion, the feds may bar a cocky hedge fund manager from trading for his “failure to supervise.”
- Just Follow the Oil / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
Washington’s fuss over Iran has more to do with its natural gas and oil reserves than anything else.
- Iran Takes Note of a Non-Proliferation Breakthrough / Khalil Bendib cartoon