This week, OtherWords is running Katie Halper’s second guest column. Her latest commentary unpacks Rep. Joe Walsh’s “greatest hits.” We’re also featuring an op-ed by Peter Hart about how the important issue of poverty just isn’t getting enough campaign coverage.
- Baseball Escapism / Saul Landau
It’s a big business, like all professional sports, that uses good old American values to lure customers.
- The Latest Battle in the War on Voting / Marge Baker
The kind of big government the Right likes is the kind that keeps certain people from voting.
- Poor Visibility / Peter Hart
The mainstream media needs to step up its reporting on poverty as a campaign issue.
- Disabled on the Job, Fired without Severance or Benefits / Jess Hunter-Bowman
A GM subsidiary is providing an unlikely test for the U.S.-Colombia trade deal’s labor provisions.
- Chicago and the Psychology of Teacher Bashing / Sam Pizzigati
In a deeply unequal society, the affluent will always sneer at public services and the men and women who provide them.
- Joe Walsh’s Greatest Hits / Katie Halper
It’s not easy to disrespect the disabled and the military in the same breath.
- Ryan Runs Into the Truth / Jim Hightower
Whether you run a marathon or run for office, facts and integrity matter.
- Cigarettes: The Killer that Won’t Die / William A. Collins
Taxes trump cancer every time.
- Second-Hand Smoke / Khalil Bendib cartoon