In this week’s OtherWords editorial package, Hilary Matfess celebrates the Supreme Court’s Affordable Care Act ruling and Stacy Mitchell explains why no one should cheer Walmart’s 50th anniversary — aside from Sam Walton’s billionaire heirs. On our blog, don’t miss Karen Dolan’s poetic and brief tribute to the Court’s health care decision. Get all this and more in your inbox by subscribing to our weekly newsletter. If you haven’t signed up yet, please do.
- Health Care Access Shouldn’t Require Good Luck / Hilary Matfess
For me, the Affordable Care Act means that when I graduate from college, I won’t have to take a job that I hate to get the health care that I need.
- Arizona’s Immigration Bind / Raul A. Reyes
Not only is SB 1070 mostly illegal, it is offensive, unjust, and truly un-American.
- Corporations Score another Supreme Court Victory / Margaret Flowers
The Affordable Care Act ruling won’t heal our ailing health system.
- 50 Years of Gutting America’s Middle Class / Stacy Mitchell
Walmart’s explosive growth has gutted two key pillars of the American middle class: small businesses and well-paid manufacturing jobs.
- Save Austerity Measures for the Next Boom / Donald Kaul
Obama should reject the conservative mantra that equates government and family spending.
- The Best Little Chicken Sanctuary in Texas / Jim Hightower
A flock of feral chickens has lived for years on (the appropriately named) Farm Street in the town of Bastrop.
- Our Nation’s Failing Prisons / William A. Collins
Mere facts and logic can’t compete for influence with the money and clout of the Prison-Industrial complex.
- Papers, Please / Khalil Bendib
OtherWords commentaries are free to re-publish in print and online — all it takes is a simple attribution to OtherWords.org. To get a roundup of our work each Wednesday, sign up for our free weekly newsletter here.