In this week’s OtherWords editorial package, Salvatore Babones calls for a flat tax on Social Security that would enable the government to make the payroll tax cut permanent. Get all this and more in your inbox by subscribing to our weekly newsletter. If you haven’t signed up yet, please do.
- Social Security’s Dual-Income Trap / Salvatore Babones
Families with two breadwinners can end up paying more than twice as much in Social Security taxes as families with just one income.
- Pentagon Spending Spree / Elizabeth Rose
Throwing money at the military doesn’t buy us safety.
- The Changing Face of America / Marc Morial
While the African-American and Latino communities are growing, our fight for civil rights and equality is far from over.
- Diplomacy Is the Only Way Forward with Iran / Laicie Olson
The parties must come to a compromise through negotiations.
- Walmart’s Unsurprising Bribes / Donald Kaul
Bribery is as American as apple pie.
- Lobby Responsibly / Jim Hightower
Anheuser-Busch and other big brewers blocked a Nebraska bill that would have curbed sales targeted at the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
- What Medical Mistakes? / William A. Collins
Privilege rules at U.S. hospitals and patients are at the mercy of powerful players who operate with impunity.
- United States of Walmart / Khalil Bendib
OtherWords commentaries are free to re-publish in print and online — all it takes is a simple attribution to OtherWords.org. To get a roundup of our work each Wednesday, sign up for our free weekly newsletter here.