This week in OtherWords, I point out that President Obama channeled “his inner FDR” during his State of the Union address and Sam Pizzigati describes a way to gauge inequality’s price.
- Fighting for Europe’s Soul / John Feffer
Extremists of all stripes would love to see the Crusades revived.
- The Next Big Progressive Battle / LeeAnn Hall
The minimum wage shouldn’t force workers to live in poverty.
- Obama Tips His Hat to FDR / Emily Schwartz Greco
He has nothing to fear.
- Don’t Give Up the Fight / Jill Richardson
Even if bad luck is a leading cause of cancer, it’s still worth taking steps to minimize the risks.
- Inequality Is Costing Us Big-Time / Sam Pizzigati
Americans pay more for an economy that pumps our treasure to the top than you probably think.
- Remembering the Greatest ‘Babe’ in Sports / Jim Hightower
Babe Didrikson Zaharias shattered the stereotype that female athletes were delicate, half-court players.
- When Bootstraps Won’t Work / Khalil Bendib cartoon
OtherWords commentaries are free to re-publish in print and online — all it takes is a simple attribution to OtherWords.org. To get a roundup of our work each Wednesday, sign up for our free weekly newsletter here.