This week in OtherWords, Christine Dickason laments the impending loss of a key student loan program and Raul A. Reyes celebrates the Dump Trump movement that arose in response to the presidential candidate’s anti-immigrant stance.
And do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please chip in today with a tax-deductible donation to keep this service running. We can’t do it without your support.
- Sharing Security in the Information Age / Isaiah J. Poole
For 8 cents of every dollar they pay in wages, companies like Uber could upgrade their workers’ safety net.
- Severing a Higher Education Lifeline / Christine Dickason
Ending Perkins loans would block the path to college for hundreds of thousands of students.
- Trump’s Badmouthing Deportment / Raul A. Reyes
The presidential candidate’s rants have galvanized Latinos of all ages, backgrounds, and political affiliations.
- Lighting a Legal Fuse / Emily Schwartz Greco
People from Seattle to Fiji are filing lawsuits over global warming.
- Correcting Unfair Sentencing Laws / John Kiriakou
The government should stop locking up nonviolent drug offenders for decades.
- A Luxury Vacation with No Modern Conveniences / Jill Richardson
The wonders of nature should be accessible to all, not a privileged few.
- Smashing the Austerity Idols / Donald Kaul
Greece and Germany don’t belong on the same continent, let alone in the same currency union.
- Poor-Shaming 2.0 / Jim Hightower
Republicans want to humiliate low-income households that qualify for aid to access the Internet.
- More GOP Hats in the Ring / Khalil Bendib cartoon