This week in OtherWords, Donald Kaul helps you keep track of the GOP presidential aspirants and Marjorie E. Wood explains why no one angling for the White House is uttering the words “middle class.”
And do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please chip in today with a tax-deductible donation to keep this service running. We can’t do it without your support.
- The TPP Gang That Can’t Shoot Straight / Dean Baker
The hit parade of failed arguments should convince any fence sitters that this is a bad deal.
- Diversity Sells / Marc Morial
Ignoring the experiences of women and people of color now comes at a price for filmmakers and TV execs.
- No Taxpayer Dollars for the ‘Bank of Boeing’ / Ryan Alexander
The Ex-Im Bank is a favor factory for politically well-connected corporations trolling for handouts.
- What’s the Matter with Saying ‘Middle Class’? / Marjorie E. Wood
The term now conjures up anxiety about the future, so candidates avoid it.
- Your Guide to the 2016 GOP Candidates / Donald Kaul
Here’s how to tell them apart.
- Faking It While the World Burns / Emily Schwartz Greco
Words alone won’t hinder climate change.
- Re-entering Society — and the Voting Booth / John Kiriakou
Nearly three dozen states restrict felons from voting even after they’ve served their time.
- This Spill Hits Close to Home / Jill Richardson
Pipeline disasters are part of the price we pay for relying on oil.
- The New Face of Noplace, USA / Jim Hightower
Big hotel chains are opening fake boutique lines to snare travelers who prefer independently run lodging.
- Iraqi Army: Then and Now / Khalil Bendib