This week in OtherWords, Jill Richardson describes the relief she’s feeling thanks to California’s rollout of the Affordable Care Act and Andrew Korfhage suggests divesting from fossil fuels as a New Year’s resolution. We’re also sharing a classic Donald Kaul column from the early days of the Iraq War that didn’t seem so early at the time. Sam Pizzigati is on vacation.
We usually run most of our commentaries on Wednesdays and will soon return to that schedule. Because of holiday timing, OtherWords shifted this week and last week to Fridays.
I hope your holidays were merry and bright. Thanks to everyone who contributed during our year-end fundraising drive. This non-profit editorial service operates on a shoestring budget and is only possible because of the generosity of individuals and foundations.
Do you want to make sure you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords? Then please subscribe to our free weekly newsletter.
- Seeing Through the Fog / Amanda Ufheil-Somers
Washington needs to put more pressure on Bahrain’s oppressive monarchy.
- A Step the Government Can Take to Reduce Inequality / Nick Schwellenbach
Federal government contractors can charge taxpayers up to almost $1 million annually for each contractor employee’s compensation.
- A Financial New Year’s Resolution / Andrew Korfhage
In 2014, do what you can to pull the plug on fossil fuels.
- Why I’m Breathing Easier in 2014 / Jill Richardson
I know firsthand that the Affordable Care Act can help people.
- This California Scheme Is Bad for Your Health / Jim Hightower
Republican members of the California Assembly created a fake and misleading health insurance website.
- The War on Ourselves / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
Since when do sheriffs get to choose which laws to enforce?
- Flashback: The Red Sox and the White House / Donald Kaul
In this November 5, 2003 column, Kaul compared George W. Bush to a failed baseball team manager in terms of the way he dealt with Iraq.
- Finding the Real Mother of Obamacare / Khalil Bendib cartoon