This week in OtherWords, Donald Kaul is back with his take on the kerfuffle over President Obama’s recent remarks on religion. In it, he explains that truth and politics don’t mix. You’ll also find Martha Burk saying it’s time for a woman to run the country and Jim Hightower saluting Aetna’s CEO for giving the company’s lowest-paid workers a raise.
And do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please chip in today with a tax-deductible donation to keep this service running. We can’t do it without your support.
- Net Neutrality’s Biggest Deal Ever / Matt Wood and Candace Clement
Proposed rules promise to keep the Internet open.
- At the Fringes No Longer / Martha Burk
Long before Hillary Clinton, women were running for president — and against the mainstream.
- Telling the Truth about Religious Violence / Donald Kaul
Obama’s modest critique of Christian hypocrisy suddenly has Republicans defending the crusades.
- Green Believers / Emily Schwartz Greco
Dumping fossil fuels requires scrapping outdated opinions about renewable energy.
- Marshaling Marooned Tax Dollars / Josh Hoxie
Congress needs to shut down offshore tax shelters without rewarding the corporations that built them.
- Eating Local in the Wintertime / Jill Richardson
You can do it in a snowy state if you plan ahead.
- A Corporate Apostate / Jim Hightower
Aetna’s choosing to pay some employees more than the going rate.
- The Keystone XL Pipe Dream / Khalil Bendib cartoon