This week in OtherWords, Khalil Bendib shares his perspective on the Charlie Hebdo massacre and I explain why the Keystone XL pipeline is a waste of money.
- A Muslim Cartoonist Draws Lessons from the Charlie Hebdo Massacre / Khalil Bendib
Bullets and bombs can never silence the voices of laughter and friendship.
- Building a More Inclusive World / Rick Hodges
A new law that provides some financial security for children with disabilities says a lot about how to get things done in today’s politically divisive climate.
- Scrubbing the Air of Smog / Mary Anne Hitt
Even when air-quality alerts give parents the all clear, kids could still be breathing in dangerous chemicals.
- Pipeline to Nowhere / Emily Schwartz Greco
Cheap oil is bankrupting the financial rationale for building the Keystone XL.
- The War on Hen-Pecking / Jill Richardson
All states should follow California’s example and make egg producers treat laying hens better.
- Obama Strengthens His Backbone / Josh Hoxie
Advancing tuition-free community college is only the latest example of the bold actions he’s suddenly taking.
- Finally, Some Common Sense on Cannabis / Jim Hightower
Voters are rolling back pot prohibition, and even members of Congress are getting on the bandwagon.
- Ink, Blood, and Tears / Khalil Bendib cartoon
A cartoonist mourns the Charlie Hebdo massacre.