This week in OtherWords, Sam Pizzigati and Jeff Vogel call on the NSA to follow the money, Jim Hightower chuckles over the NRA’s brush with sanity, and Richard J. Eskow explains why Eric Cantor’s defeat should be a teachable moment for Democrats.
Do you want to make sure you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords? Please subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. And if you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas, help us keep this valuable service running by chipping in with your tax-deductible donation today. We can’t do it without your support.
- Blame Cantor, Not Immigration / Raul A. Reyes
Other Republicans who are bigger supporters of reform won their primaries.
- What Democrats Can Learn from Cantor’s Loss / Richard J. Eskow
Anti-corporate populism appeals to voters across the political spectrum.
- The Golden Rule’s Resurgence / Arnold Oliver
A dedicated group of volunteers is making the original peace boat seaworthy again.
- How Did ‘Don’t Mess with the Money’ Become the NSA’s Motto? / Jeff Vogel and Sam Pizzigati
In one corner of America, we need lots more snooping.
- The NRA’s Accidental Brush with Sanity / Jim Hightower
The group blames an unnamed and lowly staffer for accidentally criticizing Texan gun advocates for hanging out at restaurants while brandishing assault weapons.
- Jilting My Sugar / Jill Richardson
Cutting out most added sweeteners from my diet helped me stop “retaining food.”
- Hamster-Wheel Economics 101 / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
Given the bleak economic outlook, it’s a relief to see growing momentum for raising the minimum wage to livable levels.
- Crushing Cantor by Dissing Wall Street / Khalil Bendib