This week in OtherWords, Donald Kaul summons a Guys and Dolls scene to explain the stock market’s oscillations and John Kiriakou relays what happened when he accidentally drank beer with Elon Musk.
And do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Kindly chip in today with a tax-deductible donation to keep this service running. We can’t do it without your support.
- White Supremacy Is Alive and All Too Well / Mitchell Zimmerman
Our system amounts to affirmative action for white people.
- Georgia’s Educational Neglect / Olivia Alperstein
Some schools are still separate and unequal when it comes to students with disabilities.
- Who in Their Right Mind? / John Morlino
The James Holmes verdict highlights a fatal flaw in the way our legal system treats people with mental illness.
- The Only Game in Town / Donald Kaul
The stock market is as crooked as the dice game in Guys and Dolls.
- Hurricane Francis / Emily Schwartz Greco
The People’s Pope will shake up Washington before addressing the UN General Assembly and meeting with prisoners.
- My Brush with Elon Musk / John Kiriakou
When I accidentally asked the Thomas Edison of our time what he did for a living, he lit up like a Christmas tree.
- Missing the Forest for the AC / Jill Richardson
Sometimes well-meaning efforts at conservation fall short, and sometimes they’re downright absurd.
- Thirty Bucks to Take on the Billionaires / Jim Hightower
The average donation to Senator Bernie Sanders’ campaign is a heartwarming, soul-saving $33.51.
- The Stock Market Breaks into Cold Sweats / Khalil Bendib cartoon
OtherWords commentaries are free to re-publish in print and online — all it takes is a simple attribution to OtherWords.org. To get a roundup of our work each Wednesday, sign up for our free weekly newsletter here.