This week in OtherWords, Olivia Alperstein laments Gloria Steinem’s take on why so many young women are feeling the Bern, John Kiriakou draws attention to the shocking state of health care for incarcerated women, and Anastasia Walker weighs in on anti-trans bathroom bills.
If you haven’t already subscribed, please ensure that you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords by signing up for our free weekly newsletter. If you’re on Twitter, why not follow us? Our handle is @OTWords.
And if you’d like to see these bold opinion pieces delivered to more newspapers and new media outlets, please consider making a tax-deductible donation today.
- Real Feminists Don’t Tell Women How to Vote / Olivia Alperstein
We have no time to waste on sexism within our own ranks.
- Journalists Should Stand Up for Whistleblowers / Timothy Karr
The media requires free-flowing information — and so does our democracy.
- Public Hoopla over Private Parts / Anastasia Walker
Lawmakers have no business following trans people into the bathroom.
- The Unelectibility Winning Streak / Donald Kaul
John Kasich does well when he can sit next to you in a diner and ask about your grandkids, but this country is too big for that kind of campaigning.
- A Greener Leap Year / Emily Schwartz Greco
Try to devote a few of those bonus hours in 2016 to picturing life after fossil fuels.
- America’s Killer Prisons / John Kiriakou
Inmates across America die every day because of substandard medical care.
- Walling off Common Sense / Jill Richardson
Trump’s border plan is such a loser.
- Mitch McConnell Is a Supreme Hypocrite / Jim Hightower
The president’s responsibility to appoint judges isn’t voided in an election year.
- Hillary Clinton’s Little Red Riding Hood Problem / Khalil Bendib