This week in OtherWords, Jim Hightower sums up the logistical challenges behind building Donald Trump’s dream wall along the U.S. border with Mexico, I explain why the GOP front-runner’s pledge to “take their oil” is a terrible idea, and Donald Kaul observes that Trump was the most irritating thing about 2015. If that’s too Trumpy for you, OtherWords cartoonist Khalil Bendib jokes about hitting the presidential campaign trail again.
To everyone who made tax-deductible donations over the holiday season, I would like to express my deepest gratitude. Thank you very much for your generous support, which keeps this service running.
- Winning the Fight for $15 in 2016 / Jill Reese
This is the year to make all wages living wages.
- A Formula for More Murder / Mitchell Zimmerman
Most “bad guys” with a gun were “good guys” with a gun — until they weren’t.
- Throwing My Fez in the Ring / Khalil Bendib
This Muslim-American cartoonist wants Donald Trump to wake up and smell the coffee.
- The Year of Trump / Donald Kaul
The Donald wasn’t the worst thing about 2015, but he was the most irritating.
- We Shouldn’t Take Their Oil / Emily Schwartz Greco
Donald Trump’s slippery slogan is delusional.
- Outrage in Oregon / John Kiriakou
Taking over a federal building at the point of a rifle gives protest a bad name.
- Our Toxic Failure / Jill Richardson
Is it really so radical to ask that companies test chemicals for safety before using them?
- Border Boondoggle / Jim Hightower
The GOP’s “just build a wall” simpletons don’t know what they’re talking about.
- Statue of Trumperty / Khalil Bendib