This week in OtherWords, Bob Lord reflects on the information gleaned when he helped expose an Arizona official who moonlighted as a crude Internet troll while Jill Richardson and I weigh in on Brazil’s soccer madness, climate record, and economic dynamism.
Do you want to make sure you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords? Please subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. And if you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas, help us keep this valuable service running by chipping in with your tax-deductible donation today. We can’t do it without your support.
- Water Refugees / Gary Zuckett
Weak regulations turned my West Virginia community into involuntary guinea pigs in an enormous science experiment.
- The Next Steps for the EPA’s Clean Power Plan / Mary Anne Hitt
The new carbon-cutting standard gives every state the opportunity to chart its own energy future.
- Highway Funding Runs out of Gas / Ryan Alexander
Lawmakers need to stop seeking an easy way out of the transportation spending shortfall.
- When Public Servants Demonize the Poor / Bob Lord
When I unmasked an Arizona official who made outrageous and anonymous comments on blogs, it revealed more than his bad judgment.
- Brazilian Order and Progress / Emily Schwartz Greco
The World Cup host country now has a more level playing field.
- A Climate of Extra Credit / Jill Richardson
Like the United States, Brazil has a long way to go with its response to global warming.
- Bracing for an Attack by Veterans / Jim Hightower
The Pentagon’s transfer of war equipment to local police forces lacks a rational explanation.
- Curbing Carbon Pollution at the Source / Khalil Bendib cartoon
OtherWords commentaries are free to re-publish in print and online — all it takes is a simple attribution to OtherWords.org. To get a roundup of our work each Wednesday, sign up for our free weekly newsletter here.