This week in OtherWords, Mary Anne Hitt applauds the Obama administration’s effort to reduce climate-damaging emissions and Raul A. Reyes urges GOP leaders to stop blocking a bill that would give undocumented immigrants who grew up in the United States a path to citizenship if they enlist in the military.
Do you want to make sure you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords? Please subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. And if you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas, help us keep this valuable service running by chipping in with your tax-deductible donation today. We can’t do it without your support.
- Stalled at the Starting Line / Raul A. Reyes
Unless Rep. Cantor and other GOP leaders rev the engines, immigration reform won’t go anywhere this year.
- Nixing the Pentagon Slush Fund / Ryan Alexander
Why do we have two military budgets?
- Giving Our Kids a Fighting Chance / Mary Anne Hitt
The EPA’s new carbon-cutting safeguards will take a big bite out of climate disruption while reducing soot, smog, and other pollutants.
- Walmart’s Top-to-Bottom Taxpayer Subsidies / Sarah Anderson and Frank Clemente
We’re all footing the bill for bonuses the company’s executives pocket and food stamps its underpaid workers obtain for survival.
- Therapy Benefits Us All / Jill Richardson
Getting help isn’t just for those with psychiatric problems — it’s for anyone who is human.
- Forging a Secret Legacy / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
Barack Obama’s government is either the most tightlipped since Nixon or ever.
- Fast Food Giants Picking Their Workers’ Pockets / Jim Hightower
Wage theft is disturbingly routine.
- The Manning Up Problem / Khalil Bendib cartoon