This week in OtherWords, Donald Kaul, William A. Collins, and I weigh in on sequestration, Elizabeth Rose calls for closing the gun show loophole, and Jim Hightower praises a GOP platform.
Below, you’ll find a clickable summary of our latest commentaries and a link to our new cartoon. On our blog, Rabbi Arthur Waskow explores the question of whether the “next Pope will make a difference.” If you haven’t already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- Getting Small Arms Out of the Wrong Hands / Don Kraus
The NRA shouldn’t be allowed to derail Senate support of a new global weapons agreement.
- Close the Gun Show Loophole / Elizabeth Rose
Some weapons are too dangerous for civilian use.
- Carbon Divestment / Andrew Korfhage
Already, the California Teachers’ Pension Fund, the state of Vermont, the city of Seattle, and students across the nation are working on divestment campaigns that will speed the transition to renewable energy.
- Big Can Be Beautiful / Donald Kaul
Smart government is better than small government.
- The Luxury Fortress in Your Future / Sam Pizzigati
Income gaps in the United States are approaching Brazilian levels, and that’s not good.
- Perturbed by Pesticides / Jill Richardson
Eco-friendly solutions cost much less than you’d pay the exterminator.
- The GOP’s Pitch-Perfect Platform / Jim Hightower
Holy Koch brothers, share the wealth?
- Stalling the Incomplete Recovery / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
Sequestration is likely to throw many lives off course, but it may also mark the beginning of the end of the bloated Pentagon budget.
- NRA Lesson Plan / Khalil Bendib cartoon