This week in OtherWords, Mitchell Zimmerman, Khalil Bendib, and I weigh in on the Affordable Care Act and Jill Richardson ponders better ways to mark Valentine’s Day. On our blog, Karen Dolan sizes up the Farm Bill in verse.
Do you want to make sure you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords? Then subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. Do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please make a tax-deductible donation today to keep this valuable service running. We can’t do it without your support.
- America the Beautiful for the 21st Century / Raul A. Reyes
Coca-Cola deserves praise for its inclusive Super Bowl commercial.
- Tipping the Scales of Inequality / Marjorie Elizabeth Wood
Stagnating wages for tipped workers is part of a bigger story of rising inequality in America.
- It’s Health Care, Not Software / Mitchell Zimmerman
The initial and temporary difficulty millions of Americans suffered when they first tried to sign up doesn’t matter.
- Utah’s Progressive Innovation / John Stoehr
Fiscal conservatism turned the state into an unlikely leader in the fight to end homelessness.
- Are We Doomed to Ever More Inequality? / Sam Pizzigati
New research suggests that we’re certainly headed that way unless we go beyond token changes.
- Making Valentine’s Day More Meaningful / Jill Richardson
The value of a gift increases with the thoughtfulness put into it.
- The Unaffordable WeDon’tCare Act / Emily Schwartz Greco
The GOP’s belated solution to the nation’s health insurance challenges just makes working families pay more.
- Taking Tailgate Patrol to the Next Level / Jim Hightower
Ohio State University’s new armored truck is overkill for the security needed at its football games.
- Winning Elections by Hook or by Crook / William A. Collins
Our electoral process doesn’t fit within the traditional definition of “democracy,” so we’re changing the definition.
- A Tough Act to Follow / Khalil Bendib Affordable Care Act cartoon
OtherWords commentaries are free to re-publish in print and online — all it takes is a simple attribution to OtherWords.org. To get a roundup of our work each Wednesday, sign up for our free weekly newsletter here.