September 18, 2013 | Australian fast-food workers make at least twice the U.S. minimum wage and get many more benefits.
About Salvatore Babones
Salvatore Babones is a senior lecturer in sociology and social policy at the University of Sydney and an associate fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS). He holds both a master’s degree in statistics and a Ph.D. in sociology from the Johns Hopkins University. Before moving to Australia in 2008, he worked in financial risk management and taught sociology and statistics at several U.S. universities. His academic research focuses on income inequality, economic development, and statistical methods for comparative social science research. He writes a weekly column for the Inequality.org website and contributes to progressive websites and newsletters across America. Read about his upcoming book on the American economy, Benchmarking America, at BenchmarkingAmerica.com and visit his personal website, SalvatoreBabones.com. Dr. Babones welcomes e-mail and is always happy to contribute opinions and expertise to a good cause.
Articles by Salvatore Babones
September 12, 2012 | As state anti-poverty programs around the country confront severe budget cuts, today's report indicates income inequality has reached an all-time high.
September 10, 2012 | If America could eliminate most serious poverty in the United States in the 1960s, surely we could do the same today.
August 27, 2012 | A slow descent wouldn't be disastrous.
July 16, 2012 | If the deficit disappears, our economic nightmare might finally come to an end.
May 28, 2012 | Families with two breadwinners can end up paying more than twice as much in Social Security taxes as families with just one income.
March 26, 2012 | It's simply not time to hit the panic button.
February 13, 2012 | It may be difficult to face facts in an election year, but the fact is that Social Security retirement benefits are just too low.
January 30, 2012 | For most people facing poverty today in the United States, the concept of America as the land of opportunity is just a fable.
January 27, 2012 | Americans are in for a long, hard slog.
January 4, 2012 | Had the federal minimum wage risen at the same pace as the earnings of the highest-paid Americans, it would now be $26.96 an hour.
December 24, 2011 | Retail sales are up in the top 1 percent's plutonomy, but down in the realonomy where the other 99 percent live.
December 19, 2011 | The supercommittee shouldn't have considered this unreasonable, unprincipled, and unfair cost-cutting plan.
December 5, 2011 | The other 99 percent fare much worse in the United States than in any other developed country.
November 14, 2011 | If the United States were to update the way we measure poverty, we'd find that about 28 percent of American families of four are now living in poverty.