This week in OtherWords, I explain why building more nuclear reactors can’t fix the climate crisis, Chuck Collins points out that our nation’s richest 400 people now have more money than the bottom 60 percent of Americans combined, and John Kiriakou delves into the question of why suspected terrorists may legally buy guns around here.
Do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please make a year-end tax-deductible contribution to support OtherWords or become a sustaining donor today.
Whether you can spare $10 or $1,000, your tax-deductible gift will help guarantee our ability to deliver independent, newsroom-ready, and innovative ideas to hundreds of editors of newspapers and online media outlets.
You may give on our website or mail a check payable to OtherWords at this address: Institute for Policy Studies; 1112 16th Street NW, Suite 600; Washington, DC 20036.
- Have We Hit Peak Inequality? / Chuck Collins
These 400 billionaires are wealthier than 190 million of their fellow Americans.
- Refugees Are as American as Baseball / Olivia Alperstein
Our history of shutting immigrants out is matched by a long history of welcoming them in.
- President Obama Can Expose Corporate Election Spending / Marge Baker
All it would take is the stroke of a pen.
- A Big Fat Radioactive Lie / Emily Schwartz Greco
Billionaires are hyping nuclear power as a magic cure for climate change.
- Buy Today, Kill Tomorrow / John Kiriakou
Suspected terrorists can buy guns legally in the United States — and that’s how the NRA wants it.
- The Fishy Science Behind Mutant Salmon / Jill Richardson
The first genetically modified animals with FDA approval harbor extra chromosomes.
- Big Ag Serves Up Wastewater Salads / Jim Hightower
California’s industrial farmers are dousing some thirsty crops with fracking chemicals.
- Fear Itself / Khalil Bendib