This week in OtherWords, John Kiriakou, Cecilia Velasco, Jill Richardson, and I unpack Pope Francis’s whirlwind visit. The pontiff had a lot to say about climate action, justice for immigrants and the incarcerated, and making amends for the Catholic Church’s past mistakes. We’ve put his words and deeds into context.
Do you want to make sure you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords? Please subscribe to our free weekly newsletter or follow us on Twitter @OTWords.
And do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Kindly chip in today with a tax-deductible donation to keep this service running. We can’t do it without your support.
OtherWords will take a short break next week as everyone on our team pitches in with the Letelier-Moffitt awards. Our parent organization, the Institute for Policy Studies, holds this event every year in Washington, D.C. A few tickets are still available, so please join us if you can. You’ll find our next newsroom-ready editorial package on October 14.
- Jeb Bush Blows It on Race / Raul A. Reyes
His quip that black voters want “free stuff” is pretty rich.
- A Pilgrimage for Love, Justice, and Dignity / Cecilia Velasco
One hundred women walked 100 miles to celebrate the pope’s message on migration.
- You Can’t Fire Us, We Quit / Donald Kaul
So that’s the trend: If you want to save the Republican Party, give up your job.
- Francis Gets Served the House Specialty / Emily Schwartz Greco
Lawmakers passed an anti-environmental bill right after the pope urged Congress to protect nature.
- Pope Francis and the Pain of Prisoners / John Kiriakou
The pontiff had compassionate words for the incarcerated, but I wish he’d said something to their guards, too.
- Junipo Serra’s Unsaintly History / Jill Richardson
The recently canonized Spanish missionary brought indigenous Californians much more than just “the good news.”
- Carly Fiorina Proves You Don’t Want a CEO for a President / Jim Hightower
This personification of corporate greed is now throwing out a blizzard of lies to hide who she is.
- Hating in Harmony / Khalil Bendib cartoon