This week in OtherWords, Donald Kaul weighs in on the Iowa caucuses and I point out that Donald Trump is pandering to the ethanol industry ahead of the first real electoral contest of his White House bid.
If you haven’t already subscribed, please ensure that you don’t miss the latest from OtherWords by signing up for our free weekly newsletter. If you’re on Twitter, you may want to follow us as well. Our handle is @OTWords.
And if you’d like to see these bold opinion pieces delivered to more newspapers and new media outlets, please consider making a tax-deductible donation today.
- I’m Skipping the Oscars / Marc Morial
The Academy Awards are too male and too pale.
- The Pentagon’s Pricey Culture of Mediocrity / Dan Grazier
A revolving door keeps military brass beholden to contractors.
- Turning Our Backs / Isaiah J. Poole
A growing number of states are booting poor people from assistance programs.
- Somebody Will Win / Donald Kaul
Who prevails in the Iowa caucuses won’t matter much, except in the fevered imaginations of the political reporters covering the spectacle.
- Slurp, Baby, Slurp / Emily Schwartz Greco
Donald Trump is pandering to Iowa voters and the ethanol industry.
- An Assault on Justice / John Kiriakou
Federal prison guards are brutalizing inmates.
- Toxic Waste on Tap / Jill Richardson
Michigan state officials poisoned Flint’s democracy along with its water.
- Manna from Hell / Jim Hightower
While soldiers who go to war risk death, the big corporations that go to war reap perpetual profits.
- Oscar, in Black and White / Khalil Bendib cartoon