This week in OtherWords, Timothy Karr discusses the surveillance scandal (Spygate?). We’re also running immigration op-eds by the Sierra Club’s Michael Brune and a mom who wants the ongoing reform efforts to include stronger protections for au pairs. Are you looking for something with a Flag Day angle? Scott Klinger urges U.S. corporations to stop flying the Jolly Roger.
If you haven’t already subscribed to our weekly newsletter, please do.
- Dancing Around the First and Fourth Amendments / Timothy Karr
The government can keep us safe from terrorism without stifling free speech, invading everyone’s privacy, and seizing our data.
- A More Sustainable Future for Us All / Michael Brune
The Sierra Club strongly supports a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
- A Radioactive Waste of Money / Mia Steinle
The federal government should stop building a pointless $7.7 billion facility to convert plutonium into fuel for nuclear reactors.
- It’s Time Corporations Flew Old Glory Instead of the Jolly Roger / Scott Klinger
Instead of gaming the tax system to boost corporate profits, American business leaders need to start investing more in this nation.
- Showing Our Caregivers We Care About Them
The immigration reform bill now pending in the Senate would protect au pairs against human trafficking and abusive recruitment practices before they even arrive.
- Stripping Detroit of Its Remaining Riches / Donald Kaul
The state-appointed emergency manager may be on the verge of selling the local art museum’s masterpieces to pay the city’s bills.
- The Day the Music Stopped / Sam Pizzigati
A banker’s squeeze-play has silenced an entire orchestra.
- Casting a Spotlight on Frankenfoods / Jill Richardson
A legislative victory in Connecticut is the first for American consumers who are demanding the right to know if our food is genetically engineered.
- Catching Monsanto’s Drift / Jim Hightower
Frankenwheat crops are sprouting like weeds in Oregon.
- Egging On North Korea / Emily Schwartz Greco and William A. Collins
The saber-rattling is mutual.
- Pirates of the Cayman Islands / Khalil Bendib