This week in OtherWords, Donald Kaul weighs in on the GOP’s response to Donald Trump’s bile and Christine Dickason talks about her devotion to farmers’ markets.
Along with Olivia Alperstein — who helped me research my column on coal’s demise — Christine is wrapping up her paid OtherWords internship this week. They both hit the ground running and contributed mightily over the past two months. I’m very thankful for the generous gifts to the Institute for Policy Studies that made these internships possible through our Next Leaders program.
And do you value our sharp analysis and bold ideas? Please chip in today with a tax-deductible donation to keep this service running. We can’t do it without your support.
- To Fight Racism, Protect the Right to Vote / LeeAnn Hall
Politicians are rolling back voting rights in the former Confederacy.
- Who Will Care For Grandma? / Marjorie E. Wood
Greedy CEOs are pitting elderly Americans against the workers who care for them.
- The Millennial Generation’s Literacy Crisis / Ethan Miller
Young workers need personal finance know-how to thrive.
- Local Markets Nourish Families and Communities / Christine Dickason
Expanding access to fresh and local food is smart for people and the planet.
- Creeping out of the Foxhole / Donald Kaul
Where was all the Republican outrage when one of their own slandered a Democrat’s war record?
- Blood from a Stone / John Kiriakou
I went to Athens to see what economic catastrophe looks like on the ground — and what I saw shocked me.
- Don’t Get Burned by Coal’s Demise / Emily Schwartz Greco
Everyone, including pension fund managers, must dump their holdings in the bedeviled industry.
- A Hidden Hand in Obesity / Jill Richardson
If you suffer from Binge Eating Disorder, someone telling you to eat an apple instead of a brownie isn’t going to help.
- Rolling Up Some Common Sense with Willie Nelson / Jim Hightower
The legendary singer and activist is cooking up his own brand of sustainable legal pot.
- Bullhorn Politics / Khalil Bendib cartoon